Sunday, February 5, 2012

Mi Familia y Mucho Espanol (My Family and Lots of Spanish)

My first weekend in Cuenca has been great! On Saturday I learned how to use the buses, which will be the main way that I travel this semester. After figuring out which buses to take with Maria, we all went to my host grandma's house, where I met Maria's family. They were very nice and I had a great time with them. I realized that I have a long way to go with my Spanish after trying to listen to their conversations. I could pick up on some words and the topic of the conversation, but comprehending everything that was being said was really tough. We had a small supper with Morris' family later, which was fun too. They were all very welcoming and super nice. I still had trouble with listening and understanding what they were saying. It was kind of frustrating because I want to understand and be able to talk with everyone, but I know it will get better with time. Like my Dad says, I have to be patient and remember that I've only been here for 6 days. On Sunday, we went to a school program for Carolina and then to church at Verbo. I LOVED the church service. The worship was awesome, and we even sang "Revelation Song" and "Heart of Worship" in Spanish, which we sing at home too. It was really cool to sing in Spanish, and I was actually able to understand! The sermon was harder to understand, but I did get the main points. After church we came home and spent the afternoon watching a movie and relaxing. My family is so patient with me and they answer all my questions about how to say things. I'm so excited to start my Spanish class and work on listening and speaking more. My Spanish and Physiology classes start tomorrow, so hopefully they both go really well! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment